Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Dystopian Worlds

Off to Canada for a few days later today. My oldest daughter and her husband live in Waterloo, Ontario, and so my husband and I make the trip fairly often. I always look forward to discovering some Canadian writers when I'm browsing the wonderful Words Worth book store in Waterloo.

I checked out the store's site and noticed that this weekend they're having a YA Dystopia fest, celebrating all the YA novels that are set in dystopian worlds. The Giver is perhaps the best known such YA novel. I suppose The Hunger Games would qualify too. Others? Of course, I suppose much YA fiction could fit under that banner because don't so many YA protagonists feel their worlds are far from Utopian?

4 comments:

  1. Oh, would you jot down the titles for me? I actually want to do something on this.

    There's a neat one that came out last year--The Adoration of Jenna Fox. Also, The Forest of Hand and Teeth. I think Cory Doctorow's Little Brother. Feed, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, VENUS MUSGROVE, we need you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love me some Dystopian futures. The ones that spring to mind are:

    Gone by Michael Grant, Unwind by Neal Shusterman, Among the Hidden (Shadow Children Series) by Margaret Peterson Haddix, City of Ember by Jean DuPrau, The Uglies series by Westerfield, The Lake at the End of the World by Caroline MacDonald, The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness, Shades Children by Garth Nix, The House of the Scorpion and The Eye, the Ear, and the Arm by Nancy Farmer, Rash by Pete Hautman, Away is a Strange Place To BE by H.M. Hoover, The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer, Girl in the Arean by Lisa Haines, The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman, The True Meaning of Smekday by Alex Rex.

    Those are the ones on my shelves at least. Did I mention I love Dystopian futures?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What? There is an H. M. Hoover I have not read AHHH. Thank you Venus! I must run out and find this book.

    ReplyDelete